‘Devil Dozen’ 13 Weirdest Superstition
Our activities become limited during this fateful day, Most people Do not make business deal, go to work or even leave their own home. Friday the 13th was link to ill-luck but technically if you observe this is just the same as any other days. As a matter of fact of all superstition, this is the most pervasive superstition in United states. There are many people who are afraid of friday the 13th. They are suffering from fear of number 13 called “triskaedekaphobia” or fear of friday the 13th which is called “paraskevidekatriaphobia.”
If you will trace it back, friday the 13th was link to the Christian traditions. Several bad significant events took place on friday like the Crucifixion, murder of Abel, Flight of children of Israel through the Red Sea, The Deluge, Eve tempt Adam to eat the apple and they were thrown away from the Garden of Eden, confusion of tongues at the Tower of Babel, Massacre of the innocents by Herod. However, some folklorist thinks that friday the 13th owe its bad reputation to Loki who started a riot when he crashed a banquet at Valhalla.
During the 19th century onwards, Friday the the 13th was considered a bad day and was even called as a devil dozen. There are very little historical record of of terrible event that took place on friday the 13th however, here are some that made impact; On Oct. 13, 1307, officer of king Philip 1V raided the knights of templar imprisoning several thousand men on charges of illegal activities. None of the charges were proven, but hundreds suffered excruciating torture, while on Jan. 13, 1989 virus called friday the 13th infected hundreds of IBM computers across great Britain. On Oct. 13, 1989, Dow Jones Industrial average underwent the largest drop it had ever experience at that time. Nicknamed the friday the 13th mini-crash.
Here are the 13th weirdest superstition on friday the 13th:
1. Do not make business deals
2. Do not receive medical treatment.
3. Do not do needlework.
4. Do not turn mattress.
5. Do not begin a journey.
6. Do not begin a sea voyage.
7. Do not Lay the keel or launch the a ship.
8. Do not get married.
9. If you give birth- it is believe that a child born in this day is doomed to misfortune.
10. If you are recovering- if you feel well, don’t get up for the first time during friday.
11. If you hear news- It is believe if you receive news on friday it will add wrinkles and add years to your age.
12. Do not move on Friday- If you move on friday, you wont stay in that place for long.
13. Do not sit down thirteenth at the table. The only remedy is for the thiteenth person to be the first to rise up or the last one to be seated.
Note: I do not believe in any of this superstition. However, it is better to be safe than sorry