Powernap:Beneficial to our health
Sleeping at least 7 hours to 8 hours a day is important.Oversleeping and lacking of sleep is believed to be harmful. Recent studies show that 6 hours sleep increase the risk of car accident while 9 hours of sleep don’t live longer compare than the 8 hour sleepers thus, sleeping enough is needed to make us perform our daily activity effectively and efficiently.
Have you ever wonder why it is so hard to fight that sleepiness during the afternoon, it is a terrible feeling you can have.An afternoon slump or afternoon apathy syndrome is normal. Our circadian rhythms dictate it regardless of whether we eat too much lunch or have plenty of sleep. Most people are sensitive to this midday dip some notable figures in History like Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, John F.Kennedy, Johannes Brahms, Napoleon Bonaparte, Leonardo da Vinci are known nappers.
Nap means a short period of sleep usually taken in the afternoon after midday meal.It is a common tradition in warm countries. The origin of the term siesta is Spanish, from the Latin hora sexta – “the sixth hour” (counting from dawn, therefore noon, hence “midday rest”).Napping is also known as catnap, power-nap
HEALTH BENEFITS OF NAPPING
If you have a chance to sleep whether at work or at home grab that chance and take advantage. Napping is beneficial to your health. James B.Maas , PHD a university sleep author of powernap explains “Nap tend to reduce the chance of heart attacks, strokes or stress” while Gregory Belenky, MD, Research Professor and Director of the Sleep and Performance Research Center at Washington State University, suggests that naps can make up for lost sleep during the night.There are also a lot of well documented benefits that napping for at least 20 minutes a day can increase alertness, sharpens memory, boost mood and increase productivity. Harvard researchers found that taking a 60 to 90 minutes nap has a benefit similar to that of night-time sleep.however there are also beliefs that a 30 minutes longer naps is too much, as we will drop into a heavy sleep cycle that will leave us feeling tired when you wake up.
Helpful Hints To Power Napping:
1. try to curl up or lie your head on the table.
2. Avoid caffeine.
3. Avoid foods containing fats and sugar
4. Eat foods high in calcium and protein, which promote sleep.
5. Find a restful place to lie down and the temperature in the room must be comfortable
6. Try to darken your nap zone, or wear an eye shade. Darkness stimulates melatonin, the sleep inducing hormone.
7. Have an alarm clock.
Your desired length of nap:
* The Nano nap– 15 to 30 seconds.The benefits is undetermined.
* The Micro nap– 2 to 5 minutes.Shown to be surprisingly effective at shedding sleepiness.
* Mini Nap– 5 to 20 minutes.Increases alertness, stamina, motor learning, and motor performance.
* Power nap– 20 minutes. Includes the benefits of the micro and the mini, but additionally improves muscle memory and clears the brain of useless built-up information, which helps with long-term memory (remembering facts, events, and names).
* The Lazy man’s nap– 50 minutes to 90 minutes. Includes slow-wave plus REM sleep; good for improving perceptual processing; also when the system is flooded with human growth hormone, great for repairing bones and muscles.
We all know that stress can wreak havoc with your well-being and napping plays an important role to energize us but not all people are given the chance to do it especially if they are in a busy office and a lot of works are piling up and they need to work constantly.
Getting over a slump:
1. A cup of coffee or tea will help you
2. Get up and take a walk.
3. Have a talk with other people in the office.
4. A glass of water.
5. Dried dates to boost your energy levels.
6. Keep lunch light.
7. Eat or even just sniff cinnamon or peppermint – Peppermint helps in stimulating a portion in our brain responsible for alertness while cinnamon raise energy and concentration.